10 FOODS TO REDUCE STRESS
Posted on: November 30, 2016
STOP STRESS EATING
Are you a stress-eater? Many of us are and find it can have catastrophic effects on our weight and health. Certain foods inherently help reduce stress so if you munch on them regularly, you may find that your stress level has been naturally reduced. If you reach for the cupcakes or ice cream when you get stressed, you’ll want to read more!
- Rich and creamy avocados are a great source of vitamins and nutrients that have been shown to naturally boost your mood as well as block certain fats. Avocados are even great as a dessert food and better for you than that cupcake or ice cream to satisfy that craving for sweets.
- Cashews are high in zinc, which has been shown to lower depression and anxiety. They are high in protein too, helping keep you feeling full longer. It’s easy to grab a handful when you get stressed and snack on them instead. They are perfect to eat by themselves or add to a salad or main dish.
- Oranges are a great souce of vitamin C that helps you feel energetic and the sweetness can help fight off sugar cravings. Since oranges are such grab-and-go snacks, they are perfect to reach for whenever stress makes you want something sweet.
- Garlic is great for warding off illness and boosting our immune system. Because stress weakens our immunity, eating plenty of garlic in your diet can help keep your immune system strong.
- Broccoli is loaded with folic acid which has been directly linked with stress reduction. While it’s not an instant treatment for stress, eating plenty of garlic regularly can help lower your stress level.
- Dark chocolate is loaded with antioxidants that help lower stress. Just be sure to make it dark chocolate and don’t overdo it!
- Salmon is loaded with omega-3s that help with brain function. Improved brain function can help you deal with stress more effectively.
- Water is good for so many things! Drinking a cold glass of water and taking a brisk walk for a few minutes is a great way to get those endorphins going and easy your stress.