HAMPTON FAMILY YMCA
Our YMCA began in 1980 with the commitment of Hampton residents and city leaders. The Hampton Family YMCA provides a safe, family-oriented environment, and a gathering place for thousands of kids, families, seniors and individuals. With the ever-changing need of the community, our YMCA is intent on continuing to improve the lives of all residents in Hampton and surrounding areas.
The Hampton Family YMCA provides a safe, family-oriented environment, and a gathering place for thousands of kids, families, seniors and individuals. In its previous life, the Hampton Family YMCA was Pembroke High School. It was donated to the YMCA by the City of Hampton in 1982. It was renovated in 1988 and again in 1999 with the addition of the Aquatics Center. In 2008 we renovated the lobby, the locker rooms were totally gutted and renewed and four family locker rooms were added. Because it's an older building, we are always making small changes to make it nicer for our members and add to its home-like appeal.
Our facility includes:
- Trained and Certified professional staff
- Indoor track
- Outdoor track
- Wellness Center
- 8-lane, 25-yard Swimming Pool
- Teaching/Family Pool
- Men's and Women's Locker Rooms
- Boys' and Girls' Locker Rooms
- Group Exercise Studio
- Mind/Body Exercise Room (Yoga and Pilates)
- Massage and Fitness Testing Room
- Child Watch for children age 6 weeks to 5 years
- Youth Watch for Kindergarteners through 5th Grade
- Outside Playground for preschoolers and kindergarteners
- Computer Lab
- Conference Room
- Large Gymnasium for Youth and Adult Sports
- Small Gymnasium for Youth and specialty programming
- Two multi-use Classrooms
- Outside Recreational Fields including soccer, t-ball, etc.
- Café/Vending Area
- Licensed Before and After School Program for ages 5 to 12 years
- Licensed Summer Day Camp Program
- Teen Room
- Spinning Room
Hours of Operation
Monday - Thursday: 5:30 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Friday: 5:30 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Saturday: 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Sunday: 1:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
New Year's Day
New Year's Eve (6:00 p.m.)
Child Watch Hours (Ages 6 weeks - 5 years)
Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Saturday: 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Youth Watch Hours (Kindergarten through 5th Grade)
Monday - Friday: 4:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Saturday: 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Child Watch/Youth Watch Rules -
To help us plan for and provide the best care possible, you must sign up in advance for this service. You may sign up 24 hours to 2 weeks in advance.
Board of Managers
- Children 12 and under must be directly supervised by a parent or guardian. (Guardians must be 18 or older.)
- Children must be signed in and out of the Child Watch and Youth Watch by a parent or guardian.
- Children are permitted to stay in the Child Watch for up to 2 hours. Youth are permitted to stay in the Youth Watch for up to 2 hours.
- Parent or guardian must remain in the building at all times while under-aged children are in the building.
- Children must be 13 or older to utilize the Fitness Center, and must have an orientation. Children 13-15 years must be accompanied by a parent or guardian
- Wallace Arnold
- Greg Bane
- Michael Burns
- Gamaliel Cherry
- Evoni Davis
- Dr. Bob Dreelin
- Dana Epstein
- Robert R. Harper, Jr., Chairman
- Cynthia Hudson
- John Hutcheson
- Mike Jallo
- Jeffrey McLeod, Vice Chairman
- Bo Montague
- Ray Montgomery
- Trudy O'Reilly
- Lisa Pennyfeather
- Jimmy Phillips
- Dr. Kathleen Schiller
- Lewis Smith, Treasurer
- Suzy Spence
- Donald Whipple, Secretary