diabetes PREVENTION PROGRAM
For more information, call us today at 757 298 7897
REDUCE YOUR RISK FOR TYPE 2 DIABETES
Type 2 diabetes affects more than 29 million individuals across the country and nearly 200,000 people across Coastal Virginia and Northeastern North Carolina. Another 86 million nationwide have prediabetes and are at risk of developing diabetes, but only 11% are aware of it. The Peninsula Metropolitan YMCA has partnered with the YMCA of the USA and the Centers for Disease Control to reduce the prevalence of diabetes in our region.
Prediabetes is a serious health condition and a precursor to developing Type 2 Diabetes, a disease that can lead to stroke, heart disease, kidney failure, blindness and other complications. Through the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program, at-risk individuals can delay or prevent development of Type 2 Diabetes.
DIABETES PREVENTION PROGRAM
The YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program is a community-based lifestyle improvement program for adults with prediabetes. Its purpose is to empower adults with lasting lifestyle changes that will improve their overall health and reduce their chance of developing Type 2 Diabetes.
Participants gather in a relaxed classroom setting and work together in small groups to learn how to incorporate healthier eating and moderate physical activity into their daily lives. Based on research funded by the National Institutes of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, programs like the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program reduce the risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes by 58%.
CHANGE IS HARD-WE CAN HELP
What you do…
- Attend small group sessions with others also at risk for diabetes. You’ll meet weekly to get started, then monthly to maintain
- Become more physically active
- Learn how to balance healthy eating with a busy lifestyle
How we help…
- Provide you with a lifestyle coach for 12 months of education and support.
- Form small groups for additional support from peers.
- Motivate you to eat healthier and be more active.
- Provide progress reports to your primary care physician.
- Reward you with YMCA membership incentives.
- Reduce body weight by 7%
- Increase physical activity to 150 minutes per week
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE
In order to qualify for the program, you must be at least 18 years old, overweight (BMI ≥ 25)* and at high risk for developing Type 2 Diabetes or have been diagnosed with prediabetes† by a healthcare provider.
Classes are forming now in Yorktown. If you think you may qualify and are interested in this program, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 757 298 7897.