SUPPORT THE Y, STRENGTHEN YOUR COMMUNITY
THE IMPACT OF YOUR SUPPORT GIVES EVERYONE IN OUR COMMUNITY A CHANCE TO THRIVE. Our community faces new challenges that create a greater need for the work we do. Fortunately, where we see some obstacles, we see opportunities for our members, volunteers, staff, and the generous donors like you to make a difference. No other organization can impact as many people as powerfully as we do every day. The Y. So Much More.
The Y is for Youth Development
A young girl whose summers are full of fun, exciting adventures, and friendships that last a lifetime. She’s a Y Camp kid! Watch Sydney’s story and see how there’s so much more to the Y than you might think.
A young boy avoided being swept away by a rip current because of the life-saving skills he learned through Y aquatics programs.
Meet The Goldens
On their journey from boys to young men, these boys have experienced a continuum of development at the Y. Watch the Golden’s story and see how there’s so much more to the Y than you might think.
As the mother of two adopted boys, Sara credits YMCA summer camp for helping her boys break out of their shell and enjoy being kids
Dylan is given a safe place to learn, grow and thrive at YMCA School-Age Child Care.
The Y is for Healthy Living
Achieving Goals at the Y
I’ve always been an active person, but after college, the pounds really began to pack on. I had a vision of being in the military; I wanted to join the United States Air Force. However, I did not meet the weight requirement. This is when I began my weight loss journey. I worked out on my own and was able to drop some weight but after 8 months I hit a plateau. This past March I had my first fitness appointment at the YMCA with my Wellness Coach, Aaron. He was very professional and I was able to share my goals and aspirations.
We began this journey with a shared vision of what the outcome would be if I changed my eating habits and new fitness training principles. Within three weeks I could see my body changing. During the first few months, the workouts were very challenging, but he would not let me give up or quit. I have now lost 15 pounds and reduced my body fat by 9%! Coach Aaron has a saying that will stick with me forever; we are “making a hero.” Because of Aaron and the Y, I am ready to serve my country with pride.
The Y Has Many Opportunities to Help You Achieve Your Goals
Whether you are just starting your journey, stuck on a plateau, or just need a change in your regular fitness routine we’re here to help.
- You can check out our Personal Training options here and schedule an appointment to meet with one of our Personal Trainers to discuss your well-being goals.
- Our FITQUEST exercise program can be custom tailored to fit your needs. FITQUEST has something for everyone, all ages and fitness levels. Use FITQUEST’s online tools at home, work, or at the Y. See what it can do for you! Make an appointment with a FITQUEST Coach to get started today.
The Y brings people together every day, providing opportunities to promote healthier decisions that support physical, intellectual and spiritual strength.
As a senior, how can you make the most out of your life? We all strive to be happy, but are there certain steps we can take for ourselves and our bodies so we can become the best we can be?
- Treat Your Body Right – Health is vital to living a happy life. Make sure to treat your body right by eating well and getting plenty of exercise. Dump the junk food in favor of fiber-rich, low-fat, and low-cholesterol eating, make sure to get plenty of zzz’s at night, and find a work-out activity that is enjoyable and right for you.
- Reduce Stress – Lots of stress can make it hard to be happy. Figure out stress relievers that work for you and perform them regularly (read a good book, make a cup of hot tea, meditate, etc.)!
- Make More “You” Time – Constantly putting others first is admirable, but this sometimes causes self-neglect. To take care of the people you love most, you need to make sure to take time for yourself. Whether this is self-reflection time or exercise, you need more “you” time!
- Be Financially Stable, But That’s It– Studies have shown that once beyond the poverty level, more money doesn’t usually bring more happiness, because with increased means often come increased desires. Use extra funds to do things you have also wanted to do, like traveling, or starting a new hobby.
- Find a Purpose – Getting involved with a cause you believe in can help give you a sense of purpose, overall increasing your happiness in life. Helping others can help transform your life.
At the Y, we care. We offer a variety of classes and programs that can help address your concerns, such as Group Exercise Classes for Seniors (http://www.peninsulaymca.org/schedules/) as well as different health modules throughout each month.
The YMCA’s Annual Campaign provides an extraordinary opportunity to ensure a brighter future for the Peninsula, but we must take action today, and only your support will make it possible. All charitable donations help families who cannot afford the full price of programs such as child care. When you give to the YMCA, your gift helps young people achieve their potential, empowers people of all ages to lead healthier lives, and strengthens the bonds of community. Together, we’ll take on many of the greatest challenges facing our young people, our health and our community. Now, when you think of your YMCA, you’ll know it’s more than just a gym…it’s a cause. A cause that, with your generous support, will continue to strengthen the community in which you live.
Give By Mail
If you’d rather mail your gift to the Peninsula YMCA, please send a check made payable to the Peninsula Metropolitan YMCA to:
Peninsula Metropolitan YMCA Donations/Gifts
41 Old Oyster Point Road, Suite C
Newport News, VA 23602
Contributions to the Peninsula Metropolitan YMCA, a tax-exempt organization under Section 501 (c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, are deductible for computing income and estate taxes. Ninety-one cents (.91) of every dollar goes directly to program support and financial assistance; your investment in the YMCA is an efficient and effective way to help reach those in need. If you have questions please call the Development Office at (757) 223-7925 x207 or email email@example.com
Undesignated gifts to our Annual Campaign may be used to fund our Guardian Program which provides scholarships to participate in membership and programs at the Y. More information about our program. Our financial statement is available upon written request from the Virginia Office of Consumer Affairs.
Ralph decided to take charge of his weight and health, with help from the Y.
For Shawnae, the Y became a support system for her family when they needed it most – when their daughter was diagnosed with cancer.
Hawau dedicated her life to helping others in war-torn areas. But when it came to the battle for her life, she relied on help from the Y. Watch her story and see how there’s so much more to the Y than you might think.
Gloria regained her strength through the YMCA after battling cancer three times.
Dooley recovered from surgery and regained his strength through water aerobics at the Y.