Hampton Family YMCA
Visit the Y
1 YMCA Way
Hampton, VA 23669 Get Directions
- Mon–Thur 5:30 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.
- Fri 5:30 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- Sat 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Sun 1:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Our YMCA began in 1980 with the commitment of Hampton residents and city leaders. The Hampton Family YMCA provides a safe, family-oriented environment, and a gathering place for thousands of kids, families, seniors and individuals. With the ever-changing need of the community, our YMCA continues to improve the lives of all residents in Hampton and surrounding areas.
Report includes stories and stats about our impact.
What's Happening at the Y
YMCA Bright Beginnings is a community outreach program that provides children in need with the new clothes and school supplies needed to start the school year with confidence and excitement. Now they can concentrate on learning and making friends and look forward to each school day.
How it works:
Before school starts in September, the Y takes eligible children, who have been identified through partnering organizations, shopping for school clothes. Children meet at the Y on their assigned shopping date. Y staff takes them to a local store where they are paired with a volunteer shopping buddy. Together, the child and shopping buddy shop for two outfits, shoes, socks, underwear and a warm sweater or jacket. They also share a meal and, if time allows, read a story, play a game, or color together. Backpacks, filled with grade-appropriate school supplies, are provided for each child. Shopping buddies escort the children back to the bus and say goodbye.
How you can help:
- Help the Hampton Family YMCA fill backpacks with school supplies. Collection for 150 local students has begun and we will accept donations until August 28th. Supplies we are collecting are:
- Box of #2 pencils
- Box of colored pencils
- Large glue sticks
- Composition book
- Folders with Pockets
- Washable markers
- WIDE line notebook paper
- Sanitizer (small bottle)
- Be a Volunteer, Backpack Buddy, or Donor for this awesome event September 1st – September 2nd! Click here to access forms and more details.
- Contact Tina Banks-Gray to discuss how you can give back and be a part of the Y Cause.
SCHOOL-AGE CHILD CARE
The YMCA School-Age program provides an environment where children can easily make friends, be part of a group, meet physical challenges, and know that they are liked, respected and appreciated. Our program offers youth the opportunity to have fun while learning healthy living through 5210 and science, technology, engineering and math through S.T.E.M. reading and arts activities.Learn More »