Victory Family YMCA
Visit the Y
101 Long Green Boulevard
Yorktown, VA 23693 Get Directions
- Mon – Thu5:30 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.
- Fri5:30 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- Sat7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Sun1:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
The Victory Family YMCA, in collaboration with York County, improves the quality of community life by providing safe, fun programs for area teens, youth, children and families. All programs are designed to build strong moral values, personal wellness and fellowship.
Our annual report includes stories that inspire, educate, and demonstrate our charitable mission.
What's Happening at the Y
Diabetes Awareness Event
November is Diabetes Awareness Month
Diabetes affects 26 million Americans of which 19 million are diagnosed with the disease and 7 million await this diagnosis. The CDC (Center of Disease Control) estimates that approximately 86 million adults (20 years and older) have pre-diabetes which increases their risk for diabetes. Type 2 Diabetes, also referred to as adult onset diabetes is caused by unhealthy lifestyle habits such as inactivity, poor nutrition and obesity. As a result of the increase of diabetes, it remains the 7th leading cause of death in the US. It’s time to take action!
On Monday, November 17th, the Victory Family YMCA, along with several partners, will host a free event that is open to the community to not only raise awareness but to educate those with diabetes and/or their caregivers.
- EVENT SCHEDULE
- 8:00 AM – 10:00 AM Blood Pressure screenings and Pre-diabetes Risk assessments
- 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM Diabetes Lecture with Sharon A Salsman, RD with Bon Secours
- 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM Diabetes Lecture with Sharon A Salsman, RD with Bon Secours
- PARTNERS OF THE EVENT
- Chesapeake chapter of the American Diabetes Association
- Peninsula Health Department
- In Motion Physical Therapy & Sports Performance
- Medical Careers Institute
- DIABETES SUPPORT
- Sentara CarePlex Hospital is offering a Diabetes Education & Support Program for those who are pre-diabetic, those with type 2 diabetes, and/or their caregivers.
- The group will meet on Tuesday mornings from 10:00 AM-12:30PM, starting December 2nd for 6 weeks at Sentara Careplex Hospital (300 Coliseum Drive, Hampton, VA)
- Register by calling 1 (800) SENTARA
Contact Franki Pivarnik or call the Victory Y (757 867 3300) for more information about the Diabetes Awareness Event. We look forward to seeing you there!