Introducing the Truth About Being a Philanthropist
Posted on: May 11, 2017
Support a Cause that Matters Most to You
Many of us routinely give money to important causes that are close to our hearts. By doing so, we see the benefits of our generosity firsthand. However, with a little planning, a planned gift is ideal because you can choose assets that won’t be used until after your lifetime.
For those of you who’ve been left a bit skeptical of the economy, a planned gift is an excellent way for you to support a cause that matters most to you. These gifts require some planning and, often, help from a trusted expert. They can be made now to immediately support The Peninsula Metropolitan YMCA’s needs or they can take effect in the future as a final way to leave your legacy.
Top five ways to be a philanthropist at The Peninsula Metropolitan YMCA:
- Leave an outright gift, such as cash or an online donation. Often the most fulfilling gifts are those that allow you the satisfaction of helping us right now and witnessing the difference you can make. Simply call us at 757.223.7925 ext 203 to learn more about this giving option that supports our mission far into the future.
- Remember The Peninsula Metropolitan YMCA in your will or living trust. Like many of our supporters, you may find the flexibility of naming The Peninsula Metropolitan YMCA in your will or living trust appealing because you can change your mind at any time. By leaving a percentage of your estate to The Peninsula Metropolitan YMCA, gifts in your will or living trust to family members and other loved ones remain proportional no matter how your estate fluctuates over the years.
- Provide support to The Peninsula Metropolitan YMCA with your bank and brokerage accounts. Most states allow you to designate loved ones and favorite causes to benefit from your bank and brokerage accounts after your lifetime. For us to benefit from your checking account, savings account or CDs, you must make them payable on death to The Peninsula Metropolitan YMCA. To leave us funds from your brokerage or investment accounts, you must place a transfer-on-death designation on them. In either case, you typically leave us all of the funds or you can designate a certain percentage, and we will have no rights to the funds until after your lifetime. Until then, you remain in control and are free to use the money in the accounts, change the beneficiaries or even close the accounts.
- Plan a gift of retirement plan assets to The Peninsula Metropolitan YMCA. You can feel good knowing that you’re helping to make a difference in a manner that puts your hard-earned dollars to work, and you’re not placing a large tax burden on your loved ones. Simply request a change-of-beneficiary form from your plan administrator.
- Leave a gift of life insurance. Naming The Peninsula Metropolitan YMCA as beneficiary of an existing life insurance policy is revocable and flexible. Or, you may also name us as a contingent beneficiary and name a loved one as primary.
With a little planning, these solutions help ensure that our programs continue to benefit those in need well into the future. Plus, making a future gift is an affordable way to provide support to The Peninsula Metropolitan YMCA, regardless of your income or estate size.
Take Action Today to Support a Cause Important to You
With good planning, you can find ways to support your favorite charities despite the condition of the economy. We are happy to work with you to find a gift that best fits your situation. Simply contact Danny Carroll at 757.223.7925 ext 203 or email@example.com today.