Activities & Events
Activities & Events
Families that play together, stay together – and have a much stronger bond. The Y knows that families are under such stress these days and one of the best ways to reduce stress is to spend some time playing together.
Here are some family activities and events we hold at the Y:
- Chili Cook-off
- Family Activities Time
- Family Dinner Night
- Fall Festival
- Family Fun Night
- Family Night
- Family Prime Time
- Family Volunteer Days
- Float Fridays
- Movie Night at the Pool
- Halloween Pumpkin Patch
- YMCA Adventure Guides
Here are some things you can do at home to spend quality time together:
- Eat meals together – it is human nature to chat while eating so eating meals together is a great way to keep in touch with what’s going on in each other’s lives. Adults should share about their days, too! Try to keep conversation light, funny and honest.
- Go on a bike ride or play a game in the yard – If your family is big enough, play teams – mom and son, daddy and daughter, mom and daughter, or daddy and son – and don’t always have the same teams, mix it up. Conspiring a strategy together while playing can help kids learn that they can come to you when they need help figuring things out.
- Help an older neighbor clean up her yard – Helping others or volunteering together and discussing the need and how your efforts are helping teaches kids how to be thoughtful of others and you become a positive role model.
- Hold family game nights – once a week, or once a month, but scheduling time together is always good for your family. Play age-appropriate games that kids can actually win but don’t let them win. Make sure to explain that good sportsmanship means both winning with grace and losing with grace.
- Conspire with your child to surprise another family member – Making fun surprises for others keeps the lines of conversation open. You’ll appreciate that most when your child enter teenage-hood! Start when your kids are young but it’s never too late to start.