Common Signs of Stress
Everyone responds to stress a little differently. Your symptoms may be different from someone else’s.
Here are some signs to look for:
- Trouble getting things done
- Trouble sleeping
- Poor self-esteem
- Not eating, or eating too much
- Lack of energy
- Upset stomach
- General aches and pains
- Feeling like you have no control
- Lack of focus
- Back pain
- Short temper
- Needing to have too much control
These may also be signs of depression or anxiety, which can be caused by long-term stress.
Keep Stress in Check
- Develop a new attitude – solve the problems you can and let go of what you can’t solve. Be flexible. Get organized. Set limits to balance your live.
- Relax – Take deep breaths. Stretch. Massage tense muscles. Do something you want to do.
- Take care of your body – Get enough sleep. Eat right. Get moving. Don’t deal with stress in unhealthy ways.
- Connect with Others – Share your stress. Get help from a professional if you need to. Help others. Join a group exercise class.
Not a YMCA member?