Health & Wellness
As a member of the YMCA you not only have unlimited access to our state-of-the-art wellness centers and group exercise classes on land and in the water, but also the expertise and encouragement of our friendly, supportive fitness experts. Fitness Orientations and Assessments are provided free of charge to members; Personal Training and Body Fat Analysis may incur a fee.
Today's health statistics explain that it is so important for kids and adults to lead healthier lifestyles - raising incidence of obesity and inactivity have led us to a point where for the first time in 50 years, our children will live shorter lives than their parents. The YMCA is here to help you and your family to become healthier spiritually, mentally and physically.
Top 5 Reasons to Exercise
- You'll feel better and have more energy. Increased physical activity and smarter food choices will boost your energy level, mood and overall attitude.
- It prevents weight gain. The average American gains 1-2 pounds every year. Exercising and monitoring calories tips the energy balance in your favor to stop weight gain.
- You'll improve your health. Controlling your weight through energy balance can provide additional health benefits such as lowering your blood pressure, improving cholesterol levels and controlling blood sugar - for you and your children.
- You'll become a healthy role model for your family and friends. By moving more and eating smart, you're setting a positive example for others, especially children.
- It fits into your busy schedule. The YMCA is open early and stays open late - we make it easy and convenient for you to find time to come in to exercise or spend quality time with your family members.
- Studies confirm again and again the important role that family interaction and strengthening play in the long-term health and well being of its individual members.
- A 2004 YMCA of the USA study found that parents who received support from community organizations such as YMCAs reported positive experiences for their children, saying the programs enabled their children to engage with other kids, provided positive influence and offered role models.
Family Wellness Times
What better way to spend time with your family than working out together and becoming healthier, stronger individuals and families? Check at your branch for classes and programs designated for Family Wellness.
A free fitness orientation is available to all members by appointment. Receive instruction on proper use, techniques, programming & safety recommendations from our experienced instructors. An overall Fitness Orientation is recommended for all members, and is required for youth ages 13-15 before using the equipment in the Fitness Center.
A great tool in setting short and long-term goals; we determine your current fitness level and design a personal wellness program for you. Detailed computerized information provides body composition analysis, cardio-respiratory status, muscular strength, flexibility, and health risk status. A fitness specialist will assist you in designing an exercise program based on your results. Annual follow-ups provided. (Available at Hampton, Luter, Newport News, Northern Neck, R.F. Wilkinson, and Victory)
Let one of our certified Personal Trainers help you to gain better results from your workout. An individualized exercise program will be designed to meet your personal health and fitness goals. See a Wellness Associate to set up an appointment for your initial consultation. (Available at Hampton, Luter, Mathews, Newport News, Victory)
Body Fat Analysis
Certified fitness specialists determine your body composition by subcutaneous skin-fold analysis; computerized results. (Available at Hampton, Luter, Mathews, Middlesex, Newport News, R.F. Wilkinson, and Victory)
The Y believes that those seeking a greater sense of well-being need a very supportive environment with customized workouts centered on personal goals, strength ability, and fitness experience. We found ActivTrax, which does all that, and more!
- Personalized to your needs, based on your goals, strength and experience
- Online and mobile coaching with meal-planning too!
- Access to workout via the internet or your phone
Your YMCA fitness consultation is included in your membership. Appointments may be made by visiting the Wellness Center.
The ActivTrax mobile coach is available at all locations of the Peninsula Metropolitan YMCA.
No matter what your fitness level, we have classes specially designed to help you become healthier in spirit, mind and body. The following classes are included free with your YMCA membership!