There's more than just weights and treadmills at the YMCA, why not try one of our team sports programs to stay active and meet new friends. We have indoor and outdoor activities for every age.
Sports can be a positive experience for your child's mind as well as his or her body. Many positive aspects of psychological growth can result from sports participation, including higher self-esteem, social skills, discipline, and respect for others. As with all YMCA programs, the values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility are stressed through all our sports programs. Our philosophy is "Everybody Plays, Everybody Wins!"
Your support in guiding your children through these life lessons is invaluable; here are some tips:
- Give positive feedback and show pride in your child's accomplishments.
- Help him work on a specific skill at which he seems to be improving.
- Preach the adage "practice makes perfect."
- Point out improvements in your child's performance.
- Encourage her to stick with a sport even when she's frustrated.
Respect for others
- Stress the importance of being gracious.
- Set an example through interactions with the parents of the opposing team.
- Make it clear that disrespectful behavior is not acceptable -- even in the heat of competition.
- Commend your child for unselfish play, such as passing a ball.
- Congratulate your child on the team's accomplishments as well as his or her own.
- Cheer for all the children, not just your own.
Coping With Difficulty
- Assist your child in developing the skill for handling disappointment.
- Teach her how to redirect negative feelings into positive ones.
The crack of a bat, the smell of the green field, the sun on your face, the wind in your hair, the camaraderie of working as a team to achieve a win, the refreshed spirit at the end of a game well played - adult sports are a great way to renew your spirit, mind and body. Sign up with friends or meet new ones through all YMCA adult sports programs!