VICTORY AT YORKTOWN 10K PARTICIPANT INFORMATION
The Victory Family YMCA is eagerly anticipating our fourth annual Victory at Yorktown 10K Run/Walk and 1 Mile Family Fun Run/Walk, as we know you are! As race day approaches we are ready to share some of our preparation to make sure you have the greatest race experience ever. This is a must-do chip-timed race on a beautiful and historic course combining the best parts of the past classic road races held in Virginia. There will also be many family activities after the race, including music, a costume contest, and refreshments. Food will be served by Stratford University. Our annual YMCA Healthy Kids Day will also be held from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., with fun, active play, and educational activities for the whole family with some having a Revolutionary theme. This family event is free event for all ages. This year we are also having a colonial costume contest with first and second prizes being awarded in the children’s and adult categories.
Early packet pickup and final pre-registration will take place at the Victory Family YMCA in Yorktown (101 Long Green Blvd., Yorktown 23693) on Friday, April 6, from 12 noon to 6:00 p.m. in the multipurpose room. A friend may pick up your packet and sign for you
Race day registration and packet pickup will be Saturday morning from 6:30 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. on the Yorktown Waterfront. The registration/late packet pickup tables will be located at the grassy area next to the freight shed.
- Parking is indicated in colored and circled areas on attached map. There is no parking allowed at the beach picnic area.
- Limited parking is also available at the parking garage located across from Riverwalk restaurant (323 Water Street) at the Yorktown waterfront.
- Y shuttle will be provided at the York County Courthouse parking lot located at 300 Ballard Street. Pick-up will begin at 6:15 am and end at 11:30 am.
Parking Map: Victory at Yorktown 2018 route and parking areas
If you choose to run with a stroller/baby jogger:
- Strollers and baby joggers are allowed, but if the child is not a registered race participant they may not cross the finish line.
- You must seed yourself in the back of your assigned corral—behind all the other runners.
- It is your responsibility to make sure your stroller/ baby jogger does not impede other runners, and you must take extra precaution to ensure your safety, your child’s safety and the safety of runners around you.
- We reserve the right to pull any participants from the race who are endangering other runners or themselves.
- Mile splits
- 2 stops for Gatorade and water
- No restrooms along course
Several hilly areas so be careful
Personal Items: There will be an area for personal item drop off beginning at 6:30 until the conclusion of the 10K. The YMCA is not responsible for lost items. Please do not leave any personal items at the start line. All items must be picked up by 11:15 am.
Lost and Found: If you lose or find valuables, please go to the registration area or call the Victory Family YMCA on Monday at (757) 867-3300. Lost items not claimed by Monday, April 16, will be donated to charity.
Restrooms: Ample restrooms available at two locations on the waterfront, one in the parking garage and one close to the Freight Shed.
Race t-shirts are guaranteed for early registrants who register by March 18. After that, they will be distributed until supplies last. We will do everything we can to get t-shirts to our participants!
Food: The post-race food is for registered event participants only. You must wear your race bib. Please do not bring unregistered family members in with you. There will be additional food available for purchase at Water Street Grille and Ben & Jerrys.
Adult beverages (craft beer, domestic beer, wine)
- Only for 10K participants
- 2 free beverage tickets per 10K participants.
- All interested individuals must provide driver’s license at the door.
- Must wear race bib to the postrace entire time. In order to receive your post-race beer/wine you will need to have your bib with you at the restaurant entrance. Do not remove your bib before the social and awards ceremony.
- Top 3 overall make & female cash prizes ($100, $75, $50)
- Top 2 overall male & female Masters ages 40-and-over ($75, $50)
- Top 3 male & female ages groups from 14-&-under through 70-&-over
- Top 3 male and female overall race walkers
- Finisher medals to all 10K finishers
Some pre-race and race etiquette:
- Pay attention to the pre-race announcements.
- Pin your race number on the front of your shirt (unaltered and unmodified, do not fold or wrinkle it.) Pin in all four corners and leave uncovered.
- Have fun during the event and enjoy yourself. Run no more than two abreast to allow others to pass. If you are walking in a group, stay in the back of the pack.
- If you stop to get some drink, move to the side of the road to grab a cup from a volunteer and keep moving. If you want to stop and drink, move to the side of the road.
- Feel free to shout out words of encouragement to other participants. They will appreciate your cheers.
- Pay attending to what is going on around you during the race. Just as in life, expect the unexpected. Think: loose dogs, lost kids, low branches, looming potholes.
- Don’t stop suddenly upon crossing the finish line—you’ll cause a collision with those behind you.
6:15 a.m.- YMCA bus shuttle from courthouse to event
6:15 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. – Race day registration and packet pickup for 10K & Family Fun Run
7:40 a.m.- Colonial costume contest for children and adults at start line
7:45 – Fife & Drums and the singing of the national anthem
8:00 a.m. – 1 mile Family Fun Run/Walk
8:30 a.m. – 10K Run/Walk start
8:30-11:30 – YMCA Health Kids Day. Fun and games for youth and families. Some Revolutionary period games.
Free for all.
9:30 – beer/wine for 10K participants only inside Water Street Grille and under tent
9:45 – Music begins outside Water Street Grille
9:30 – Drawing for prizes. Winners will be posted on board near registration area.
10:00 – Selected food for only the 10K participants (corn chowder, Virginia ham biscuits, three bean salad).
Racing bibs must be worn.
10:30 – Awards ceremony
11:15 – Band resumes until 12:00
11:30– Shuttle to courthouse ends
12:00 – Event comes to an end but everyone welcome to visit the restaurants and local businesses & museums.
Race will be held rain or shine. No refunds for weather, acts of God or other occurrences. No pets allowed.
Tom Tragle, co-race director (757-254-6599).
Michael Bennett, co-race director (757-345-5338). Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Rick Platt, CRR race coordinator (757-229-7375 or 757-345-1431). Email: email@example.com
Race website: www.peninsulaymca.org/locations/Victory/